Conversations are underway for a local Haitian Heritage Week (or Month), to be modeled after Haitian Heritage Month in Florida, home to one of the largest concentrations of Haitian residents in the US.
Possible activities include:
– Haitian film festival
– Haitian poetry reading and workshop
– silent auction with Haitian food and entertainment, featuring art inspired by the earthquake or Haiti’s history
– community yard sale to benefit relief organizations
– benefit concert for Haitian musical group Alabanza
– Haitian music dance party
– school activity days
Other proposals include publishing a compilation of artwork and poetry inspired by the earthquake (to raise funds for relief agencies), and collaborating with local schools to send letters of support to survivors in Haiti.
For more information, or to volunteer to help plan or promote the events, please contact Kat Forgacs at email@example.com.